7 Supplements for Healing Your Leaky Gut
There are many supplements that support your digestive health, but some of the most beneficial leaky gut supplements are l-glutamine, probiotics, digestive enzymes, aloe vera juice, quercetin, and licorice root.
1. Probiotics are the most important supplement to take because it helps replenish good bacteria and crowds out bad bacteria. I suggest getting probiotics in both food and supplement form. I see people all the time only follow part of the protocol in healing their leaky gut syndrome by removing the damaging irritants. But the part they often leave out is re-inoculating their gut with beneficial bacteria that will keep bad bacteria at bay.
So load up on BOTH probiotic-rich foods and take AT LEAST 50 billion units of probiotics daily from a high-quality brand.
2. Digestive enzymes (one or two capsules at the beginning of each meal) ensure that foods are fully digested, decreasing the chance that partially digested foods particles and proteins are damaging your gut wall.
3. L-Glutamine is critical for any program designed to heal leaky gut. Glutamine powder is an essential amino acid supplement that is anti-inflammatory and necessary for the growth and repair of your intestinal lining. L-glutamine benefits include acting as a protector: coating your cell walls and acting as a repellent to irritants. 2–5 grams twice daily is recommended.
4. Quercetin has also been shown to improve gut barrier function by sealing the gut because it supports creation of tight junction proteins. It also stabilizes mast cells and reduces the release of histamine, which is common in food intolerance. New studies have also shown its effectiveness with ulcerative colitis. Taking 500 milligrams three times daily with meals.
5. Aloe Vera is rich in enzymes and has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral properties. It's also a powerful anti-inflammatory, making it useful for soothing a number of digestive complaints. Aloe vera juice can be helpful for acid reflux. Aloe also contains high amounts of an immune-stimulating polysaccharide, especially mannose, which has been shown to induce white blood cells to secrete interferon, tumor necrosis factor, and beneficial cytokines. You can find Aloe Vera is liquid, gel & capsule.
6. Coconut Oil This is one of the healthiest foods on the planet and is the best natural source of medium chain triglycerides that help the body burn fat, reduce inflammation and heal the gut lining. Coconut oil is especially rich in lauric acid which is found in a high quantity within mother’s milk and is known to be a powerful anti-microbial agent that kills off bad bacteria and yeast.
I recommend using coconut oil to cook with and to put in shakes, smoothies and even your morning coffee. Coconut Oil Capsules have all the same benefits of the liquid oil and are easier to take with you on the go. You can also apply it to your skin where it will help to moisturize and improve the skin microbiome. On the skin, it will also cross into the blood stream and have a positive effect on your physiology.
7. Licorice Root (DGL) is an adaptogenic herb that helps balance cortisol levels and improves acid production in the stomach. DGL supports the body’s natural processes for maintaining the mucosal lining of the stomach and duodenum. This herb is especially beneficial if someone’s leaky gut is being caused by emotional stress. Licorice root may be taken in liquid, capsule or powder formula...500 milligrams twice daily is suggested.
Always consult your health professional before starting any new supplement regimen.